We will have a “live” viewing starting at 7pm Saturday, followed by a Q&A at 8pm with the filmmakers, Robin Truesdale and Bill Adler.
For more background, read this article by Laura Melvin:
Possible Q&A topics:
- Under what circumstances could you imagine leaving home for another country?
- What cultural and economic forces pushed the Quakers out of the US and what pulled them to Costa Rica?
- Do you think the Quakers would have been more effective advocates for peace if they had stayed in the US, or did they do the right thing in moving to Costa Rica?
- Once they settled in Monteverde, how did the Quakers’ attitudes about land use change over time?
- In what ways has Monteverde changed since the Quakers arrived in 1951?
- More than 200,000 tourists visit Monteverde every year. What are the benefits to the community, and what are the costs?
- What values have the Quakers passed on to succeeding generations in Monteverde?
- What threats does Monteverde face today? And how are residents there confronting those threats?